Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Tuesday, September 15, 2015: Shamian Island/Free Day

Isaiah 12:2  “Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord Himself, is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation.”  I really like the book of Isaiah because it is before the New Testament but speaks about Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior!  Here we see that Jesus is our salvation and our strength.  I really need this verse now as our trip is winding down in China.  I am tired from all the emotional stress and drama here in Guangzhou.  I am ready to come home.

Today we found out that Hope’s x-ray is negative for TB.  This means she has Class B TB.  It means she was exposed at some point in her life and built up antibodies.  She does not nor has ever had TB. We will take her to the doctor when we return.  She and Autumn need to have a good physical and referral to the eye doctor.  They also need to see a dentist for a teeth cleaning, flossing, and exam.

This was quite a stressor for us because if she would have tested positive from the x-ray we would have to remain in China for 30 days for her to receive treatment here in Guangzhou!  I also found out that the kids are NOT tested for this disease before being put on the adoption list.  This means you don’t know until you get here.  I am told the U.S. government only trusts the blood test here in Guangzhou and possibly Beijing.  However, I think a screening blood test should be done in each province for the children just to rule it out.  I realize that the blood test will not suffice to clear the child to enter the U.S., but at least prospective adoptive parents will know there is this possibility of having a positive result here in Guangzhou.  That would surely help the planning process if the family did have to stay an extra 30 days!  This is a concern for all children over two years of age.

Ok, so I have been so frustrated here in China this trip with the lousy and unreliable internet connectivity!  Our Skype may or may not work, my connection to my class emails and course only seems to work early in the mornings, etc.  I know I am complaining, but every little thing adds up to an accumulated stress level.
Today was an odd morning as the girls slept in so late that Kyle and I went shopping by ourselves for our souvenirs and gifts at Shamian Island.  We were able to leave them with Annabelle.  It was a nice time with just the two of us.  We got all of our shopping done and back before lunch.  The girls were ready to get out of the room so they went swimming with Kyle and Annabelle.  I stayed back and worked on my class and went to the exit meeting with our agency.
The exit meeting was yet another 2.5 hour meeting that did not want to end.  This is when we are told about our departure times from the hotel and instructions to enter the U.S.  After the meeting we all went to dinner at this fabulous local restaurant very close to the hotel.  We have been eating there at dinner time every day now.  They do not use soy sauce in their dishes but rather chili paste and tomato sauce.  So, I am able to enjoy several dishes without getting ill.

Tomorrow, Wednesday, we have our Consulate Appointment.  This is when the visa paperwork for the girls is reviewed and finalized.  They will also ask the girls if they want to go to the U.S. with us.  It takes up the entire morning and is very tiring.

Captions: First: Kyle, Annabelle, and girls as we all walked back to hotel after dinner; Second: Photo with owner of restaurant



No comments:

Post a Comment